View Single Post
  #10   IP: 74.40.11.135
Old 03-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
  1. The PO may have done excellent work and maintenance, maybe not. The only work you can trust is your own. We generally hold PO's - and many so-called professional mechanics - in disdain around here.
  2. New tank is the smart move. The ethanol component in gasoline acts much like a solvent and can return tank residue into the mix.
  3. Please replace the O-ring seal on the fuel fill cap. It's seldom done and a critical sealing point.
  4. Again, with ethanol in the fuel it absorbs water rather than allowing it to separate. My guess, depending on the volume of fuel you had in the tank, is the ethanol absorbed as much water as it could to the point of saturation and the remaining water is what you saw in separation. I wouldn't trust the old fuel to start a campfire, maybe to put it out though . . . .
My best advice is to get much more aggressive in cleaning up the fuel system. The engine sounds sweet when she's running.

edit:
If you run old (read: questionable) fuel through your newly cleaned and rebuilt carb, you'll need to clean it again after. You may want to reconsider the order in which you're trying things to prevent doing the same repairs over and over.
Absofreakinglutely. Until you get fresh gas in a clean tank you should have several filters on hand. There's that repeat repair thing again.
I just ordered a new filter, new impeller, and a bottle of moyer mystery oil.

Do you have any recommendation on types of fuel tanks? My current one is a big hunk of metal, I was thinking about switching to one of the plastic ones.