View Single Post
  #12   IP: 99.30.185.198
Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Afourian MVP

Catalina 30 props

Hi rj, A few years ago I did some prop tests on my 1978 c-30 to try to raise my engine speed closer to 2000 rpm's. For some reason Catalina used the same 12-7 prop on their 27's as they did on their 30's which I feel was just too much prop for a much heavier boat. I tested a few different styles, which included the Indigo 3-blade. I finally settled on a "cut down" (11-7) standard Catalina 2-blade and have been happy with it. As Dave has noted, the Indigo performs quite well in forward but I noticed a definate tendancy for it to cavitate in reverse. This is most likely caused by the "winglets" on the trailing edges. If you are concerned about having good reverse thrust, this would be the last thing you would want to have happen. Others have mentioned that reverse noises on these A4's is normal, so I would say that it is operating normally. You may want to try adjusting the reverse band a little tighter which will make the reverse shift a little quicker. Because of the excellent gearbox access on our C-30's, it's a relatively easy job. Hope this helps. Tom