View Single Post
  #22   IP: 23.241.157.69
Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Thumbs up Tale of no tales

Mo, well put all the way. I have been an avid cyclist most all of my life and if you commute on the roads you'll go down. I've been hit by a car twice and had many a bone unhinged and broke. I landed on top of my head both times and one was quite bed and while in my twenties I broke my back (5 vertebrae) while being stupid. I spent years trying to find relief and finally I found a chiropractor and a Sports Orthopede who made all the difference in the world. They had me work on strengthening the little muscle groups and making it a regiment. As long as I stick to my exercise and pay attention I still function fine. My neck is a bit of a problem still and seeing this post and Mo's comments really brings paying attention to causes too. After reading this I realized that it has been a long time since I have looked up much for trim unless racing of course. Once out sailing and the sails are set I can sail for hours and not touch anything as I have the touch for my boat which has not had a telltale for at least 20 years now. The only downside is I have an Osprey that likes my masthead. He even stayed put while motoring out of Alimitos Bay, lots of people noticed and he stayed until we got into some waves.

I feel that a lot of spine pains are due to the lack of working on the problem instead of just suffering. Taking pain meds is something I avoid as much as possible but I did get a good bit of advise from the Orthopede regarding meds. As I have many places in my body that can get sore after riding for over 40 miles or so. When I am going to go for a long ride I know I am going to have some swelling and discomfort so I took his advise and when I do so I take a anti-inflammatory before I go and most of the swelling does not happen and neither does the pain. When doing this I never have to take anything after the fact for a couple of days like before~~one dose good for a long go.

Dave Neptune