View Single Post
  #1   IP: 67.81.139.28
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Troubleshooting help Needed

Hi all Thanks in Advance. I'm at my wits end and have used up my limited knowledge. I'll try to make some sense but cant promise anything lol

Engine is a rebuilt A4 purchased 2 years ago with probably a total of less than 10 hours time on it. Last year was very short season.

Engine started running rough and would not accelerate through full range of RPMs no matter what setting throttle was at.

Engine would start and die out. Would only start and run with full choke.
I let engine sit for a few minutes and then it would start back up.

I thought maybe the Water/Fuel Separator wasn't working or needed to be changed.

I changed the bulkead mounted Racor Water/Fuel separator. I forgot to fill filter with fuel when I reinstalled.

Engine would start only on full choke and die out. Engine Very Anemic. As soon as choke was lessened it would die.

I removed Racor filter to make sure fuel was in there and it was.

I removed Fuel line at the Carb intake and jumped out fuel pump from "out going" side of Oil Pressure switch and fuel was flowing out of hose into a glass jar.

I took off the Carb, brought it home, and cleaned and removed jets as in the Video from Moyer (which was very helpful for me). The only thing I did not do on the video was use the wooden dowel.

Upon trying to reinstall Carb I could not get the Aft bolt to catch. I attempted this for a long time and finally realized threads were stripped on Carb. I got a new longer bolt that caught the last 3 good threads and seemed to work. It made a tight seal to flange and didn't protrude to hit Idle set screw.

I reinstalled Carb and Engine would not start. It turned over once on full choke and died immediately.

We tried jumping out fuel pump again to starter to make sure it was "humming" just incase I made a bad connection reinstalling. Pump was making the sound.

I tried every combo of throttle/choke/idle set screw setting to no avail.

I am unsure if fuel is getting into carb. Spark plugs seemed dry. There was a little fuel under spark arrestor according to my partner in crime.

I looked at wire that runs from the Distributor Cap to Oil pressure shut off switch. There was a lot of "goop" in fuse and on terminal end of switch. Not sure if its anti corrosion stuff or something else?

Is it possible to "jump out" oil switch by just clamping some alligator clips to top of distributor cap and to "out side" of the switch?

Any other suggestions?

I'm sure many of you out there can imagine my state of mind right now

I spent over an hour trying to get the carb back onto the flange, had to make trip off boat down to hardware store to get new bolt, etc, etc.

This engine is rebuilt and has has such little usage. I'm sure the fault lies with me somewhere but for the life of me I can't figure out what is wrong. I'm losing valuable cruising time and getting frustrated.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and thoughts