View Single Post
  #22   IP: 70.174.149.122
Old 08-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Having an EI and a weak spark is not good. The spark should be snappy and blue. I would check the "RUNNING" voltages at the coil to confirm good voltage. Then I would remove the cap and rotor for inspection, checking for cracks and "carbon trails" inside the cap. Another resistance could be a poor coil wire and/or plug wires. When the engine was converted to EI were all the wires, cap and rotor replaced? While inside the distributor check and lube the c-advance too.

The surging sounds more like fuel and a weak spark could exacerbate that.

A vac leak usually won't surge, but it is air and does influence the fuel mix.

Dave Neptune
My thoughts exactly, Dave, and the spark I had was pretty anemic. Hopefully the dist cap and wires/new plugs will fix me up. I have been leery of my dist cap for a while, it just seems to not be in good shape, screws are difficult to turn, so I am really hoping it is that. Should know Tuesday...

In going thru the Moyer manual something kind of caught my eye, the oil pressure safety switch. If that switch was defective I assume it would cut power to the ignition and shut down the engine? Is it possible that could be my problem? The shutdown was so clean and abrupt, just like turning the switch off, I am just wondering. Also, the surging seemed to stop after I tightened the one vacuum line but also after taking the oil filler tube cap off and putting my hand over it. That was the "magical" part I was referring to earlier, I frankly felt it was just coincidence. Now I am wondering... What do you think?