View Single Post
  #16   IP: 70.174.149.122
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadnsky View Post
Bryan-
That sentence says a lot IMHO...
If it were my vessel, I would want to KNOW why an issue was resolved.

I took a bit of time and read thru your past threads and posts to get a better feel for the history leading to where you are today...

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10183
No resolution
http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10263
Scavenge Tube & Carb issue
http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10493
Resolution? No answer to carb question in POST #15

Something that really stands out, that I agree we should resolve BEFORE moving on to the next "step"... (IGNITION) is to assure that we can eliminate fuel.

We need Fuel, Spark and Compression to run our beasts.

Here is one of my favorite Don troubleshooting methods...
“Have you performed any maintenance on the engine recently?”
It always provides me with a bit of tension releasing amusement when I'm told: "Why yes, I just replaced the plugs, points, and condenser last week, - so I know that the problem can't be in that area!" (Not necessarily so)! Whenever you experience problems after performing maintenance, always go back over every step of your work to see if you overlooked something.
This is one of the most fertile places to find reasons for intermittent shutdowns.

Attached is a document with some more of Don's troubleshooting wisdom.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. Well, it wasn't totally magic. I discovered a vacuum line that was was a bit lose which once tightened up seemed to resolve the surging issue. That and giving the plugs a little cleaning. This after removing, cleaning and reinstalling the carb, so I fully understand to check what you have just done, you probably screwed up or forgot something.

I want to eliminate ignition before looking at fule as the issue, and not arbitrarily. I think maybe what is missing here is the fact that the engine, minus the surging issue, which has been resolved, was running fine, even with the surge, after 18 months of time, money, sweat and cursing with fuel issues. All done. Successfully. Since then, no new maintenance, no new fuel, no new anything except the pleasure of having an engine that actually ran great since I replaced the tank and everything fuel related and totally cleaned my new carb. Runs great, come in, shut down, tie the boat up. Come back 2 days later, start it, idle it and have it just stop dead after a couple of minutes. In my experience, fuel issues do not lead to a clean, abrupt stop. Not on my boat, not in any of my cars, not even on my lawn tractor. Lose rpm, power, sputter, etc, etc. Not an instantaneous complete shutdown. Literally like turning off the key.

If you do not have fuel, you have no combustion, I get that, really. But, at the same time, if you have no fire, or inadequate fire, you get no combustion, either. I guess I understand why everyone wants to start at fuel, it is easier and more common, but I have been at fuel for 18 months. I have been living the fuel issue for a long time and finally resolved it with the new tank, etc. Sure it was a carb issue because it sucked up gunk from a rusty tank, as did the filters, and the tank allowed water seepage. This is a road very well traveled by me. And a motor that won't catch, even with no fuel line attached, when blasted with starting ether, tells me I have a fire issue. I had a terrible addiction to British sports cars in the 70s and early 80s, so I have certainly spent some time squirting ether to figure out fuel or ignition. Or both...... The sweet mysteries of Weber carbs. So I have, based upon my diagnostic efforts to date, come to the belief, perhaps erroneously, that altho I have some spark, I do not have nearly enough. I know what spark in a properly working ignition system should look like, and it is a nice bright blue white zap, not a weak flicker. Which then takes me into my weak spot, ignitions.

I gave up tuning my own cars when I tried to hook my timing light up to a car that had a "ëlectronic ignition module" on it. All my previous cars had points and condenser and I knew what I was doing (sort of). So all of that said, I still may be wrong. I ordered a new distributor cap, (mine looks funky) plug wire set, and plugs from Moyer, will get them Monday, put them on Tuesday. We will see what that does. As to the Ignitor electronic system I have, it is just a box and a bunch of wires to me, no clue. Do they just "GO BAD"? Seems like they would either work or not work. But again, I have no clue. So this is the area I really need some help with.

I have read virtually everything Don Moyer has ever written, I think...

I really do value the help given in these forums, the experience behind that help, and the spirit in which it is all shared. I just need someone to give me some thoughts on the ignition system, I really do understand the fuel system far better than I ever wanted to. To the forum, ""help me, Obiwan"". But just for now can we pretend that I DO NOT have a fuel problem? Please. If I turn out to be wrong I will gladly acxknowledge same and take public forum shaming.