• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Sourcing coloured wire for ignition harness

I am having a heck of a time sourcing smaller lengths of coloured marine tinned wire to rewire the engine properly. Any idea where I can get these remaining bits in Canada?

Tan 14 g – 10 ft.
    Light blue 14 g – 10 ft.
    Blue 14 or 16 g – 6 ft.
    Brown with yellow stripe 14 g – 10 ft
    Yellow with red stripe 12 g – 10 ft
    Purple 12 g – 20 ft.
    Purple 14 g – 20 ft.

I should have asked MMI about supplying them before I got my last order shipped up here.
    1974 C&C 27
  • HOTFLASH
    • Oct 2004

Sources for by-ft marine wire

A while back I had the same problem. Found almost all my needs at Redden Marine--offering by the foot Ancor wire. Find them on the web. Also at some West Marine stores, or local chandleries.
    Mary

Comment

• rigspelt
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2008

After much researching from Vancouver to Halifax with colleagues, I ended up getting mostly red and black, a little coloured wire, and simply going with a numbering system using number/text labels and clear shrinkwrap from Active Electronics. They have 10 stores across Canada. Sounds like this is becoming common practice, whereas finding single-boat short lengths of ABYC colour-coded wire is very difficult.
      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• JimG
        • Mar 2005

I hate to provide advertising for someone, but bestboatwire.com seems to have such good prices that buying 100' isn't that painful.
        S/V Latis
        Brookings, OR
        Ranger 33

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

I am in Canada and in the same predicament here Rigsy - redoing my 67 Corvette 12v system and it seems the only way to do it to ABYC standard is bite the bullet and order the kit from Moyer.

Comment

• rigspelt
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2008

I've given up trying to find ABYC-coloured wires for my refit. I'll be visiting an Active Electronic Supply Depot in another Canadian city next few days. I'll let the group know what I find. Looking for:
            1. Pads of wire numbering labels, and
            2. Coloured shrinkwrap.
            3. Clear shrinkwrap.
            Part of what Acitve carries is here: http://www.active123.com then click on Wire Cable and Heat Shrink, then Wire Identification, then View All, then scroll to the bottom.

UPDATE: Keep checking this posting. I'll update it as I discover more.

1. Expensive wire labellers are not for me -- cost prohibitive. I have a cheap Brothers labeller from Home Depot that works well for larger labels with clear heatshrink, but not for tiny wires.
            2. I bought Ziptape Rite & Wrap labels: http://www.ziptape.com/. Comes in cloth or synthetic tyvek. I bought the RW51: a roll of 300 labels, each 3/4 wide by 1-1/4" long, where the first 1/4" is a white write-on space and the remaining 1" is clear; wrap the written-on part first, then wrap the clear portion on top of that.
            3. I also bought ZipTape MityMark: a little kit of 10 tape dispensers, each with a role of one digit (1-9 and 0); tear off a digit and wrap it on the wire, followed by the other digits required to make a number.
            4. They sell a little kit containing coloured shrinkwrap, but were out of stock temporarily at the particular store I went to.
            5. I did not explore Ideal Industries' wire marker products: http://www.idealindustries.ca/produc.../wire_markers/.
            Last edited by rigspelt; 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM. Reason: Updating with new information
            1974 C&C 27

Comment

• rheaton
              • Aug 2005

I bought the re-wiring kit from Moyer. Included all wire, connectors, and diagram. Worked well for me. I did seperately buy a conduit to run the wires from the cockpit to the engine compartment.

Thanks,
              Russ

Comment

Working...
              X