View Single Post
  #143   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
(A) For a properly tuned engine momentary full choke is necessary to start fully warmed up engine.
(B) How are you adjusting the choke? Mine is adjusted so when the button is pushed all the way down to open the choke it springs back up ~1/8" when pressure is taken off of it. If I don't get the slight spring up of the button I know something is wrong with the choke.
(C) Probably deigned by a naval architect that didn't like his\her job.

TRUE GRIT
A. While choke on warm start may be necessary for an engine tuned to maximize fuel efficiency at cruising speed, CajunSpike's experience is a good illustration why an engine should probably be tuned to minimize gelcoat irregularities. At least mine is. Some textbook's definition of "optimum" be darned, I expect mine to start without choke if warm.

B. That is a good idea; I'd never considered it. Similarly, the Navy method of opening a gate valve "wide open" involves opening it all the way to the valve stop, then closing it a small amount, a quarter turn or so. That reduces the chance of the valve stem sticking, and if you grab the handle as long as the valve isn't closed, it should turn a little bit in either direction as an indication that the valve isn't frozen.

C. Ugh. There's a reason they don't put car gauges in the back seat. Keys and gauges are meant to be operated/seen from the helm.