View Single Post
  #133   IP: 107.77.106.76
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Afourian MVP

It's a little tricky to determine if stalling at low idle is a problem with the carb settings, the idle setting, the timing, or not a problem at all. Low idle is all about precision, and some people revel in how low an idle speed they can get in neutral. It is an impressive accomplishment, but if you have everything set up perfectly with a fully warmed up engine, by definition it isn’t perfectly set up any more with a cold(ish) engine. Yet that’s what you have after a few hours of sailing.

So if she idles slowly in neutral but stalls in gear once in a while at those very low idle speeds, I wouldn’t worry much about it (although personally I would adjust the idle speed cam on the throttle so that it never happens). Just don’t run the engine in gear at those low idle speeds in close quarters. Run a little faster and shift between neutral and forward as necessary. I consider this a good practice anyway during docking maneuvers; you shouldn’t need to shift from forward straight to reverse unless there’s some sick crosswind.

Of greater concern to me is why she didn’t start right back up after the stall. This would drive me nuts in fact. With a little more throttle and no choke, I expect mine to fire up instantly after a low-speed stall, even in gear. I’d guess of course you gave her more throttle first - perhaps your carb is running a bit too lean? A slight timing/advance adjustment might help but I can never recall which direction applies when. Is it possible your OPSS is seeing low oil pressure at low idle and turned off the fuel pump?

Edit: new Pertronix, hmmm. Makes me think a timing adjustment may be in order. Your coil is a 4-ohm Moyer, I presume? Much written about the need for that here.

Last edited by tenders; 08-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.