View Single Post
  #11   IP: 68.134.214.85
Old 08-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

stalling when engaging forward (solved)

The stuffing box was rebuilt just last season and boat ran perfectly under power back from the marina. I did follow suggestion and add a quarter turn in to the carb idle. Situation remained the same: engine starts perfectly and runs smoothly but when shifted into forward while at a strong idle, it stalls, again I can immediately restart it while in gear and it runs as normal with forward power to the prop.

I know that a new adjusting collar with closer together notches was introduced in 1979. My 1970 has the original collar, when I first made a one notch corrective adjustment I did have weak forward power so I then, once docked again, make another one notch adjustment. So now I have strong forward engine power but that stall situation occurs when initially shifting.Is it possible the collar excerpts
too much pressure stalling an engine at idle?

I am addressing this in the forum since we all are A4 engine owners.

Follow up, sorry for the delay. I did back off one notch on the forward adjusting collar and that allowed for a smooth shift into forward and the engine ran smoothly. I believe I had inadvertently adjusted the collar too tight earlier. I really appreciate all the input from the forum readers.

Last edited by gary a gerber; 09-10-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Problem solved, I simply backed off one notch on the adjusting collar it shifts smoothly