View Single Post
  #15   IP: 50.67.146.231
Old 07-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I don't think so. You still have the smoke, only sealed off one place where it was getting out. The symptom is addressed for now but not the cause. There's merit in reducing cabin smoke but expect it's been moved to somewhere else. Did you do anything with the ignition timing?
Hi Neil..

The ignition timing is next... Don Moyer explained it to me and I got the basic jest of it all. I've never done a slight twist to the rotor Left or right and I'm not quite sure of the lock nut, he was talking about.

The one thing I've noticed since changing out the fuel pump... the RPMs have increased to 1000 from about 800 rpm... So, I am contemplating fidgeting with the carburetor idle to bring it down a bit but it is an obscenely narrow space to work in.

I still need to fine tune the forward and reverse in the gear box before tackling those two items. Reason being the engine is working fine and I just want to take and resolve one issue at a time and not screw things up before I get it all done.

But yes timing is on the list for sure.... As I was re-adjusting the forward pressure plate I notices it was filled with white acrid smoke the same smell as before starting all this.

So Neil, yes I would agree with you that I only confined it and not addressed the issue... But I do like to study "cause and effects"... so once I adjust the timing I'll simply pop open the gear box and see how much smoke is wafting inside.

If there is non, then it was the timing being slightly off.

If it continues with minimal smoke... Well let's just say that is the nature of a 40 plus year old engine that probably requires a rebuild to freshen up.... If that is the case it won't be for a couple of years... I do want to enjoy the boat and not be tied up at the dock continually making repairs and watching others have fun..

Cheers Neil... and thank you for your suggestion.

Mel