X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ujin
    • Mar 2019

Is a Rebuild needed?

I know I need to replace the impeller, but does this corrosion from the, I believe, 502 series water pump suggest a complete rebuild or just a good cleaning?

Also, there is oil between the head and the block on the back of the engine. Exhaust manifold side. Oil looks clean, no water and no excessive vapor in exhaust - small puffs noticed on start up.
    Could this be an indication the head gasket is blown?

What are your thoughts?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_152811.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	205581

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_110800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	205582
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

As for the water pump, I can't tell the perspective. Is that the bottom of the pump? Leakage could be the cover plate or the shaft seal. Do the cover plate first - that's easy. If it still leaks, then you'll have to get into the seal.
    As for the head leak, keep in mind that there's no oil supply to the head - no overhead valves! More likely that it's a water leak from a stud (or several) that need resealing. The head and manifold studs are part of the water boundary, and a failed stud seal will cause leakage. This leakage can show up at the boundary between the two parts or at the nut on the end of the stud. They can be resealed without removing the manifold/head, but it's often difficult to identify the bad guys.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

What are the compression test results?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

First; Great pictures they help a lot!

To me it looks like oil all over the back of the engine from a mist under pressure like an exhaust leak. Common on a two-stroke engine or perhaps a four-stroke with an oil issue. Do you fog this engine in the fall? Even oil up on the head bolts. Is there a crack or bad gasket on the exhaust flange? You can even see the direction of the splatter from whatever source is causing it.

The smell and feel of the oily mess should tell you what it is.

And;
        Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?

Russ
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lat 64; 03-09-2019, 02:54 PM.
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Ujin
          • Mar 2019

Yes, that's the bottom of the pump. The water looks to be coming from that weep hole. That may be because of the seal then.

Haven't thought about a water leak from the studs. The studs in that area do have moisture around them. I checked for a water leaks above the engine, but sounds like it could be the studs.

No compression test yet. That's a great though. I will make sure to get those numbers.

Thanks.

Comment

• Ujin
            • Mar 2019

Yes, that is oil on the head bolt. My though was exhaust too, but there is nothing on the manifold side. It's clean except for the paint coming off and rust. The exhaust flange seems too far aft of the splatter on the block, but there could be a pin sized hole in the manifold itself.
            I think my step will be to get compression numbers then run the engine and check for any leaks in the exhaust manifold or head bolts.
            There is certainly corrosion inside the manifold as evident from the water pump and coolant line on top the exhaust manifold.
            Thanks.
            Last edited by Ujin; 03-09-2019, 03:06 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Comment

• Ujin
              • Mar 2019

Conclusion. I know it's been a bit since I first posted. As the internet is, I wanted to add a conclusion to my query.

The black stuff on the engine was indeed coming from the exhaust flange. After pulling the flange off the manifold I found there was no gasket. The exhaust was leaking out the bottom of the flange as indicated by the black soot on the block.
              I added a gasket purchased from Moyer.
              All should be good.
              Thanks.

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Ok, I'm feeling pretty smug right now.

Just want to reiterate; Get a CO alarm and keep it tested.

Cheers,
                Russ
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                X