View Single Post
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 03-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Afourian MVP

Oh my!
You have some serious active corrosion going on! You didn't say, but I'll guess salt water cooled, no heat exchanger. Worry is good, but don't despair - yet. A little iron will make a LOT of rust.
Replacing the water pump is not a bad move - the old pumps do wear out and many folks spend way too much time and effort trying to bring a dead pump back to life (I'm one of them).
First thing I suggest you do is see how much good metal is left in the block. Pull that cover plate behind the starter/alternator and see what's left of the block - 3/16" or more is OK. Take some pictures while things are open and post them so we can see how things look inside the water passages. Don't reinstall the cover plate yet - if the block looks like a keeper, you'll want to install studs there to eliminate leaks in that area.
I also recommend you remove the manifold. Then pull the manifold studs and use a hooked piece of wire to check block thickness there. See if you're getting down towards 3/16".
Final check is the head studs, but let's see what you get in these two locations before you remove the head.
If you don't have the Moyer Overhaul and Repair manual, I recommend you buy a copy from our host. It's good reading, and folks responding to posts like yours will tend to refer to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
pdecker (03-04-2019)