• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Launchpad McQ
    Aforian MVP
    • Dec 2013

Hi Rick,

I'm in the Catalina 30 camp so I can't offer much insight into your C&C specificities. Also, I'm a relative newbie here in the middle of a full rebuild myself so I can't offer nearly as much advice as the experts who comb the forum to help us lost souls seemingly on a daily basis. However, I do feel I'm qualified to offer some advice as it relates to your powerplant choice soul-searching.

Like you, I faced an engine with significant reliability issues that, for me, ultimately required a full rebuild. I seriously questioned whether it was worthwhile to expend any further effort on an A-4 or switch to diesel or electric. As a testament to this group, I noticed nobody chimed in on your thread with some silly absolution like "diesels are dumb! Atomic 4-life!" or "electric is for hippies!" however that seems to be a frequent occurrence on other forums. I'll say this; for my vintage/model/market value of boat, (1979 Catalina 30) usage pattern, (infrequent) endurance/range needs, (limited to motoring out of the marina and raising the sails) and most of all budget (around $2,000-'ish') diesel was a no-go and I was leaning toward electric.

I watched hours of YouTube videos, joined the Yahoo electric boat forum, researched different motor options, learned about basic electric motor theory, weighed the benefits of permanent magnet DC vs induction AC, watched more YouTube videos, started collecting used lithium batteries from discarded power tools, watched more YouTube videos, read the biography of Nikola Tesla (not kidding) consulted Elon Musk (kidding) , watched more YouTube videos, and then ran the numbers. I could've purchased a 48 volt DC motor kit for about the same price as rebuilding my A-4, but thats before batteries. I'm sure if you've done even cursory research into an electric conversion you've discovered that lithium batteries are the only realistic option to achieve any range whatsoever and they aren't cheap. I even looked at purchasing a battery module from a wrecked Tesla model S or Roadster on eBay since they're widely available. I quickly realized it would be very difficult if not impossible to get the cost even with rebuilding my A-4.

I hope you don't mistake this as me trying to dissuade you from pursuing an electric or diesel conversion if that's what makes sense for your application. At the end of the day, as much as some would deny it, electric and diesel both have specific advantages over an A-4. Electric would be quiet, reliable, less maintenance etc. And if I were taking the boat around the world? Sure, give me a diesel for lower fuel consumption, less moving parts, and maximum range. However if cost is a primary consideration, I came to the conclusion even a relatively expensive (as I define "expensive") Moyer short-block engine would be a cheaper way to repower than an electric or diesel conversion.

Keep us posted,
    -Jonathan
    Jonathan
    1979 Catalina 30 #1497
    An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."

Comment

• rickinnj
      • Dec 2010

Launch,

I may rant and rave, but I'd never really consider ditching my A4. The real choice was whether to spring for a new rebuilt from Don for the easy way out or to pull some long overdue RR&R on my existing mill.

The crazy talk was partially fueled by Boat Show Derangement Syndrome. All those shiny bits and wild ideas were fresh in my head.

But when my mind cleared, I recognized that the finest engine in the world won't overcome the five wires on the positive coil post, or the trailer plug in the wiring harness, or the filthy gas tank that needs steam cleaning, or the oil and soot saturated engine compartment.

The engine is mostly being removed from the engine compartment to allow me to clean/paint said compartment. While it's out, I'd be a fool not to do the valves and clean out the cooling passages. After that a little engine de-grease/rust and a paint job will make her feel better about herself.

Thanx for the pep talk! My feet are firmly on the ground here.
      Rick Bushie
      s/v Anchovy, 1971 C&C 30-1, Hull #1
      Tolchester, MD

Comment

• rickinnj
        • Dec 2010

Peter,

I'm thinking about a plywood platform over the dinette area to work on the engine. Spanned across the two benches it'll be out of the way and containable. I'll put herculite on the sole to contain any mess on the way.
        Rick Bushie
        Tolchester, MD

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

can we add "BSDS" to the popup lexicon here?

Boat Show Derangement Syndrome - nice one!
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

BSDS.

Done, Greg!

Bill

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
              BSDS.

Done, Greg!

Bill
              it's the little things...
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

BSDS
                • First time at a boat show, sail only, SCMA Long Beach auditorium, went on every boat in the place. Cool.
                • Second boat show a year later, same event, skipped all the gleaming boats, hit the equipment booths hard.
                • Third boat show, straight from the entry door to the bank financing booths.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• wristwister
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by rickinnj View Post
                  While it's out, I'd be a fool not to do the valves and clean out the cooling passages. After that a little engine de-grease/rust and a paint job will make her feel better about herself.
                  Uh huh, sure, you just tell yourself that this is all your going to do to the engine. Just know that when you inevitably have it completely disassembled with every nut, bolt, bit and piece splayed out on your work bench, the whole gang will be right here to help you put it all together again.
                  "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• rickinnj
                    • Dec 2010

The engine is out! I built a frame from 2x10's that mated precisely to the engine bed and slid it right out from under the companionway.

I have a plastic tarp, a moving blanket, and an aluminum pan under the frame to help contain any messes that might occur.
                    Rick Bushie
                    Tolchester, MD

Comment

• rickinnj
                      • Dec 2010

I'm embarrassed to show this picture. The rear seal has been leaking for a couple of years now, so this is the price I pay for procrastinating.

Here's the same space after the first stage of clean-up
                      Last edited by rickinnj; 03-10-2019, 07:24 PM. Reason: added after pic
                      Rick Bushie
                      Tolchester, MD

Comment

• rickinnj
                        • Dec 2010

Some before and after pics of the water jacket.
                        Rick Bushie
                        Tolchester, MD

Comment

• rickinnj
                          • Dec 2010

Oops!
                          Rick Bushie
                          Tolchester, MD

Comment

• tenders
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

You'll be shocked by how much improvement will take place in the engine compartment after an hour and a half with some hot water and a LOT of degreaser. Replace those wood stringers, straighten out some of the plumbing bits that need to be replaced, slap on two coats of Bilgecote...good to go.

As for the engine, well, paraphrasing Winston Churchill, I'd say this is not the end. Nor is it the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning.

Comment

• rickinnj
                              • Dec 2010

I took a scraper and a shop vac to the engine compartment first...removed 7 gallons of muck (full capacity of the shop vac). The engine stringers are surprisingly solid and well bonded to the hull. The steel angle irons on top are in good shape as well. I'm going to epoxy bond the stringers back together and paint.
                              Rick Bushie
                              Tolchester, MD

Comment

• rickinnj
                                • Dec 2010

Got a little bit done this weekend. Replaced the rear engine seal that's been leaking forever.

I used the Moyer tool to secure the shaft

and then I used a breaker bar with two foot pounds of force (bounced on it with two feet) to remove the nut

I used a harmonic balancer puller to remove the flange

the surface that rides in the seal is chewed up pretty badly. I'll have to decide whether I want a new flange or a sleeve to repair the flange.

Rick Bushie
                                Tolchester, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X