View Single Post
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Afourian MVP

First, you may have a slight leak where that manifold stud screws into the block. I'd try removing the manifold then cleaning and reseating all 3 studs. I'd install a new stud/nut and trash the rusty ones. While you've got them out, check the wall thickness of the block at all 3 studs - see what you've got left. This is low cost - might not even need a new manifold gasket but I'd get one just in case.
Second, compression. Those numbers and the smoke suggest to me worn piston rings. Don't know the history of the engine but it could be time for new rings - they DO wear out. May not be a big deal - bearings and the pistons themselves may be fine.
If you don't have the Moyer Manual, buy one. Details engine disassembly, overhaul, reassembly. Basically, you're going to remove the engine from the boat, remove transmission, head, and oil pan. This will allow you to remove the pistons, replace the rings, then reassemble. Based on my experience, you will find NO ridge at the tops of the cylinders worth reaming. Reassemble with new rings and you could be done - good for another 20 years. Also recommend changing the aft transmission oil seal.

Last edited by Al Schober; 01-30-2019 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-23-2020)