View Single Post
  #11   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 06-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion C&C 33 View Post
I just turn off the key... How do you run the fuel out of the carburetor ??

This is new to me....
. . . . by closing a fuel valve and letting the engine run until it starves itself of fuel but that's not my point. Thus far you've said nothing that condemns the fuel pump so maybe not so fast on replacing it. Of course you can if you want, just that your reports do not fit a non functioning pump.

Examples:

It has to crank forever to get it to start You do not need a functioning fuel pump to start the engine. It has ample fuel remaining in the carburetor bowl to start and run for a minute or more without any fuel pump operation. My question about shut down procedure confirms there's fuel in the bowl.

ran it under load for 30 mins and nothing Not likely with a non functioning fuel pump. It's a remote possibility with a fuel tank situated so a strong siphon exists but I wouldn't count on it.

Your starting fluid test and dry #1 plug both confirm a fuel problem but let's not jump to conclusions it's the pump. It's possible it is, just that nothing's conclusive yet. Your symptoms may be due to other causes, even a combination of causes. Hard starting may be caused by a poorly functioning choke not closing all the way. A non-functioning fuel pump may be due to a failed oil pressure safety switch (OPSS). I encourage you to explore the entire fuel system before replacing things, home in on the real problem first. A fuel pressure gauge immediately ahead of the carburetor would answer a lot of questions about now.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Orion C&C 33 (07-09-2018)