View Single Post
  #61   IP: 165.225.34.153
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
  1. Gaskets should always be installed on clean mating surfaces
  2. Gaskets should never be reused
  3. Generally speaking, gaskets do not require additional sealant
  4. Grinding down the flange of a new MMI 502 flange pump - ugh! You may have little choice because you're combining components from different manufacturers but still, ugh! I realize it's too late now but a threaded stud in the accessory drive hole with a hex nut to fasten the pump and bracketing could have solved the misfit.
Hm, thinking about it: I hope the new gasket arrived in the mail (I am still on a business trip) and now I wonder if I should install the pump with threaded studs, instead of the bolts. It is too late to undo my grinder job on the pump but it seems like a better solution overall. For instance, I expect it will make the installation process a little easier. I don't anticipate any problems but it appeals to me to just slide the pump with gasket on the studs and be done with it.

Does that make sense? If it does, do I need to order studs somewhere, or can I just cut off pieces of suitable length from a threaded rod? I may even have one (stainless) lieing around, have to check when I get home.

And I suppose the studs need to be installed just with a drop of oil on them, right?

Thanks for your advice.