Thread: Ranger 33
View Single Post
  #3   IP: 207.118.95.156
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Mo!

We still have that first Ranger 23 in our fleet. However, sold the other very nice and well outfitted Ranger 23 about ten years ago, to a doctor in Poulsbo. Her and her husband raced her quite successfully till a couple years ago.

The reason we kept the first Ranger 23 is because she's just a wee bit faster. All things being equal, not all hulls pulled off a mold are absolutely equal in speed. She does well in breezy conditions and isn't very sticky in zephyrs, and has the ability to ghost along. When the wind drops to zephyrs while most the rest of the fleet struggles, with the exception of a couple boats sailed by lifelong sailors. My wife says, she has a lot of heart and is the little boat that can, will and do. Besides she's the only boat my wife enjoys sailing on, so we keep her.

I don't race her much anymore, since I've been busy racing on several other boats, as well as racing with the Cal 20 Fleet 8 out of TYC the past few years since retiring. My brother and I did race her this summer in the CYCE second summer series. We missed the first two races of the series, due to crewing on other peoples boats. We did sail the final four races of the series, and finished just out of the silver - but that's quite alright because we had the two DNSs.

Very kind of you to help with your club member's Ranger 33. You must be a good guy or enjoy working on boats for the sheer pleasure or both?

Most everything I've learned about the A4; is what I've learned here from Don on the MMI website, and knowledgeable afourians like yourself, here at on the MMA4 forum.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-20-2015 at 10:49 AM.