View Single Post
  #63   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Hi Neil, yes..I am aware of that..back on page 2 I think..Napa has a pretty good selection in that line of resistors, from less than 1 ohm, up to it seems like 1.82 is the highest, so I should be able to find one. My current plan is to put the existing 1.82 ohm resistor I have (actually 2.2) onto the 1.5 ohm coil (actually 1.7) and get a 'smaller' 0.75-1.0 ohm resistor for the 3 ohm coil. If one measures the actual resistance, I am a little closer than it appears, but still 'on the edge', so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post

So, with that, & working from memory (my notes are not with me at work):

My NAPA/Echlin 1.35 ohm ballast resistor = 1.6x ohms (part # ECH ICR11)

My Accel 1.5 ohm coil = 1.70 ohms.

Now, I have done the following:
Adjusted my charging voltage down to 14.1v
Currently running the 1.35ohm resistor ahead of the 1.5ohm coil. Using actual numbers measured above that is about ~3.3 ohms. Assuming we have a drop of 0.9 volts at the coil to 13.0v from the lowered charge voltage I am right on the edge at ~3.93 amps. I need to measure this to be sure, I think I mentioned somewhere else I was seeing lower voltage than this at the coil.

So..there's my numbers..Neil, I am thinking about maybe incorporating BOTH resistors into my system..maybe trying the 1.35 ohm in front of the 3 ohm coil and the 1.82 ohm in front of the 1.5 ohm coil and re-testing. It may also be interesting to try one of those resistors in front of the OLD coil and see how long it would last.

It has been raining here for something like 25 days. My wife and I saw the boat briefly last Wednesday evening for a light cleaning event with the intent to use it & go sailing this past weekend. Guess what..it rained..& we bailed on our plans and never made it to the boat.

We had thunderstorms at 0700 today. The weather's inability to cooperate with me is becoming exceedingly frustrating.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 09-28-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: found my earlier post