• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

Chartplotter question

I think this is the topic forum for off-topic (not A-4) questions. If not, I apologize. This is my favorite boating forum, though, so I'm going to post this question here.
    I am looking for a new low-end chartplotter for a friend. I love my Garmin 172C-- intuitive, simple. It came without any built-in charts, and you "unlocked" charts from a CD for desired areas and loaded them into the unit.
    The new Garmins of comparable price (under $500) come with "built-in worldwide basemaps" but I can't tell what this means. Are these detailed navigation charts? Do you need to purchase charts separately?
    I'm sure some of you have similar units (Garmin 420, 421 specifically look appealing) and can help me figure this out.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Base maps are not for navigation. If the Garmin unit does not come with preloaded BlueCharts, then you'll need to purchase them.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• JimG
      • Mar 2005

There are lots of 172/182s on eBay for less than $200...
      S/V Latis
      Brookings, OR
      Ranger 33

Comment

• nickmerc
        • Oct 2008

I bought a Garmin 441 this summer. It had the coastal preloaded maps. I got it for about $450. I have been very pleased with it so far.

Comment

Working...
        X