Thread: Running Cold
View Single Post
  #12   IP: 66.158.76.254
Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Overcooling causes?

Hi;

We fret so much about overheating that we welcome a cool running engine - until that actually happens.

I've run hot, but I think I have resolved those issues. Last fall and yesterday I was running cold (`120) and I've been trying to sort that out. Always interested in any feedback others have on this so please post if you can comment.

Since my overcooling finished in a shutdown at the worst time possible (Chicago River, downtown, during a bridge raising with hundreds of cars waiting on you) I replaced a lot of parts just to eliminate them as a possible source.

I had a bad alternator - diodes fried probably. Could not recharge batteries so I had the alternator replaced. Two outings later I started running cold, that 120 I mentioned. I'm just in and out of the harbor, so my 'runs' are usually on the short side - but yes, I'm trying to run it longer as a rule. On the third outing I ran for 60-90 minutes before it failed. During the run it sounded... rough... almost like something was missing or clanging somewhere in the engine. (Yea, that was fun to hear)

After working on it for two hours following the shutdown (does this mean things were cooling off??) I got it restarted for 5 min, only to die again forever.

I restarted it last night in the water at idle, no load on the engine - even after 40 minutes it maxed out at .... 120.

I then replaced the points, condensor, dist. cap, coil, plugs, all wires, neg. lead from dist. to coil (maybe the true culprit was this one - the cheap fix), fuel filters, and tore the carb completely apart and cleaned it to death. Also adjusted the dist with the mounting bolt as best I can, and played with the idle set screw to smooth out the pace.

Two hours, above idle, in forward on the dock lines.... it comes right up to 180-190. Sound starting to smooth out.

Was it the neg. lead? Was it the coil? (Seems to maybe lead that direction given how it restarted after cooling for two hours.) I'll never know for sure, but it would be interesting to hear your comments.

Thanks to all.

Mick