View Single Post
  #25   IP: 69.138.231.172
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Tenders,

I'm afraid that you may be correct. I've diligently followed everyone's suggestions here and they have been great.

Here's what I did today:

1. I pulled the exhaust pipe off of the manifold for a look. The bolts are new and the pipe (which was wrapped) turned out to also be new. It was absolutely clean and shiny. So I've now eliminated the exhaust.

2. I pulled the valve cover and set all the valve clearances. I was a bit encouraged when I found that cyl 1 and cyl 2 had no clearance. Once set I figured I'd found the issue...that the valves weren't able to close all the way.

3. I rotated the crankshaft and watched all the valves moving very nicely up and down. All the springs were intact and looked fine.

So, I put my new compression gauge on cyl 1 and cranked the engine. No compression at all. Disappointment led to despair when I put the gauge on cyl 2...no compression. I then hooked the coil back up actually started the engine testing all the cylinders. My results are below:

Test 1 (turning engine over with starter only - no starting):
Compression -- 1=0, 2=0, 3=100, 4=110.

Test 2 (start and run engine):
Compression -- 1=60, 2=95, 3=95, 4=100.

Turning the engine over with the starter gave me no compression in cyl 1 or cyl 2 but firing the engine up did. I did realize that the initial compression on cyl 1 and cyl 2 were false for sustained compression. Upon fire-up they peaked at 60 and 95 respectively but if I purged the gauge while running they dropped and settled in at 30 and 45 at 800RPM. At 2800 RPM they showed 60 and 70.

I think I'm getting some overheating too. I have a laser thermometer and it showed the temp in the center of the head between cyl 2 and cyl 3 at 197 degrees.

So what do you guys think? Is my head gasket blown between cyl 1 and cyl 2? I'll go read about that task now but look forward to your diagnoses after you read my tests.

Thanks,

Rob

"Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little."

1968 C&C Invader 36' / Late Model Atomic4
https://www.tumblr.com/sherloch7