Thread: Random tapping
View Single Post
  #19   IP: 76.95.236.166
Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 AM

@wristwister

That is very possible. Here is the situation:

I had been under power for a total of 7.25 hours heading to Catalina Island. We were healing over for the last 2.5 hours, I noticed my oil pressure around 25-30. There were some big rolling swells and wind gusts. Very confused seas for that 2.5 hours. I heard the small tapping sound and brought down the throttle completely. Investigated and determined it wasn't major. Checked the oil and the level was just about full (i did an oil change a couple months ago). Got safely into Catalina and started poking around.

After a couple days of being at the island and diagnosing I thought it was a valve tap. I poured some MMO into my oil and fuel. I power sailed on the way back for about 7.5 hours with very little issue. The tapping was still happening but the oil pressure looked good and the engine didnt have a problem running on low RPM.

Since the sound was coming from the right side i thought it was a valve tap. (I have a video of it in the first section linked) I also checked my spark plugs to make sure they were solid. While running the engine when i remove the spark plug wire from the 4th plug the tapping stopped. There was no change when testing the others.

I am not much of an engine person but am trying to learn. Hence why i bought a boat with an Atomic. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I have a compression test arriving today or tomorrow, im not sure if it will help.

Thanks all!