• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by goodoldboat View Post
    I am not sure of the Bolt size .. but I am hoping the socket extender will do the trick .
    A 3/8 socket on a short extension works for me on the lower bolt. I go buy feel. It's easy for me because I've done it many times. I can see how it could be a bit challenging if you have never loosened the lower water pump bolt.

Hint: Put the socket on the extension and go by feel until the socket is on the bolt then click the racket into the extension and twist. Works for the install also.

TRUE GRIT
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 04-04-2019, 01:43 PM. Reason: Not fully awake yet!!! Or is this a dream?

Comment

• goodoldboat
      • May 2017

gasket

I was just thinking about the remaining gasket material that may or not be adhered to the engine block ...

what is the best way to remove the remaining material , I am thinking that this Pump is on the engine since 1977 ..
      S/V Gosling
      Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
      ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        • Nov 2008

I was just thinking about the remaining gasket material that may or not be adhered to the engine block ...
        what is the best way to remove the remaining material , I am thinking that this Pump is on the engine since 1977 ..
        Very carefully.

I don't think you will have a problem. If you do have to scrape first try something softer than brass to scrape with; maybe a plastic or wood wedge. If there is any thin film left acetone on a green 3M pad might work.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: The engine is steel so you can be a bit rougher with it if any gasket is stuck to it.
        Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 04-04-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Mattlurzo
          • Aug 2018

I Dont remember seeing that , will recheck the box , thanks for the tip ..
          Here are the extra instructions I found in the box, just in case you don't have it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• goodoldboat
            • May 2017

water pump install

Both upper and lower pump bolts are frozen really well , I sprayed with PB
            Blaster and will let them sit for 48 hours .

I will go down and try again on Wednesday and bring a a torch if i need it .

I think that lower unit extension bolt is in my future MMI order .
            S/V Gosling
            Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
            ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Tap on the bolts after you spray them with PB Blaster.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• goodoldboat
                • May 2017

water pump replacement

Good Tip thanks ... i will let you know ...

I think the pump has been leaking slowly for a while .. the lower bolt is pretty corroded ..

Not enough that any water accumulated , but enough to form rust .
                S/V Gosling
                Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

Working...
                X