View Single Post
  #14   IP: 138.88.79.169
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi more updates!

Went back to the boat today after work. What beautiful weather here on the Chesapeake (today anyway!)

I finished the PCV system without any problems, and added new spark plugs today, since they were easy to find enroute. After starting up the motor, things related to that are fine! She runs a little rough, especially under load, but seems to create some thrust tied to the dock. At least she isn't running any worse than before. I may need to tweak the idle valve, as the instructions during the installation of the PCV had me move it around.

After about 20 minutes, I shut her down and pulled the plugs after letting it cool down some. Took another compression reading.

95 PSI on all cylinders!

I am convinced the valves & rings are fine, but what I may have is a tuning problem. Just in case, I squirted some MMO in the spark plug holes & blipped over the motor a little bit with the starter to move it around, since I won't be back to the boat for two weeks. Figured it was a good time to do that.

Although I did not start the motor back up, when reinstalling the plugs/wires, I noticed the wire to the coil not connected to its connector inside the boot! I do not know if this by itself would cause it to run poorly, but I've had that wire off & on a lot in the last few days during the compression tests.

New wires are definitely on order, and we'll keep plugging away at things.