View Single Post
  #6   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Yes the part in the pic, above the carburetor, is the manifold.

Specifically this is what I did.

Remove the line from the block to thermostat housing.
Crank the engine over, see if water flows.
yes? that's not the problem.
No...problem is there somewhere. Probably water pump(or T connector clogged as noted, great idea!).

Put line back to thermostat housing in.

Remove the line coming OUT the thermostat housing into the exhaust manifold inlet. I loosened the manifold end.
Crank the engine over, see if water flows out the hose.
Yes? That's not the problem.
No...problem is in there. Clogged housing?

Put the line back to manifold inlet.

Remove the water line exiting the exhaust manifold.
Crank the engine see if water flows.
Here is where i found little to no water flowing...thus revealing the problem. Yes I removed the brass fitting for access to the manifold exit hole to clean it out. A little random digging around was enough to free the clog...so next time I cranked it to check water flow, the water flushed the exhaust manifold outlet clean. Put the fitting and hose back on, and run see if it still heats up. Only other thing after this would be if the main exhaust hose has possibly collapsed internally due to age. This is simple enough to try.

If you want a short cut, just remove the manifold outlet line and crank the motor. Warning lots of water! If you get good water there, look further back. If you get nothing there, start there and work towards the pump.

If you loosen/remove the T inlet line, you can force water backwards in the T to thermostat line and push any trash back toward the water pump.
It wouldn't actually go there if you have removed the pump to T line, but would flush out.

This pic is when I had removed the exhaust manifold Inlet to test flow to that point. On my engine, the 'front' of the manifold is the water inlet. The 'back' of the motor is the water outlet.

You can see the outlet line on the left side, red hose. Where the outlet 90 angle pipe was screwed into the manifold, was my clog area.

Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 05-08-2018 at 08:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CajunSpike For This Useful Post:
Captain Kirk (10-21-2022), chrisoelder (05-07-2018)