Thread: wit's end
View Single Post
  #11   IP: 72.185.251.137
Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Today I will take a gun and point it at the temp sending unit to check the temperature. Thanks Dave for telling me where to check it, I had no idea where to use the gun ( on the block? on the manifold?) so that's why I haven't used one until now. To make sure I do it right, what results should I get (should the reading from the sending unit theoretically match the gauge exactly? If my reading is lower, does that mean I am good and can keep the engine running?)

I think I will also try to disconnect the bypass hose and block both ends and run the engine to see if that does anything, I haven't done that yet because I was by myself and I can't both check the temp and block the water with my fingers at the fittings. If this helps at all, I guess the answer is putting a ball valve inside the bypass hose, but I doubt this will help because I pretty much did the exact same thing with the engine off (forcing water into the cooling system) and when I went to start the engine, temp was still maxed out.