View Single Post
  #7   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Exclamation It's personal

I am a mechanic by nature and "listen" to the engine whenever it's running. I seldom look at the gages after the beastie warms up. If the sound of the engine-exhaust changes I'll check the gages otherwise when all is well (most all of the time) I just enjoy the cruise.
I like the simplicity of not having the alarms as far as wiring is concerned and if something is amiss and the buzzer is going, so will my temper and the buzzer is likely to be removed in a somewhat ripped out fashion, to get rid of the noise. Then I will begin the trouble shooting. I have had a few boats with alarms and I found that as I keep things in prety good shape by the time something fails the buzzer has failed to do its job. I also have worked on many a boat that the alarms were buzzing and nothing was wrong but the alarm system in an otherwise well maintained system. My primary reason still is simplicity especially in a small boat.
However if I am running a boat that is unfamiliar to me I would want the alarms on "HIS" boat for "my" convienience.

Dave Neptune