• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Laker

You are not the first to pick up on that...better tires on the trailer than some of the vechiles that drive in the yard (chuckling) ... Michelin "E" rated...and the forth is the same...LOL; Built the trailer spring 2007 and it needs a paint job now. The boys at the club made fun of it because it sticks out like a sore thumb in the yard painted....just trying to fit in
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• old-sailer
      • Nov 2011

Mine is always dry out of the water. I spray it with vinigar to kill any mould each fall. Then it dries out really nicely.

After launch it's a tad wet... normal with the dripping from the stuffing box.
      Mike
      1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Bone Dry

I adjusted the packing gland so I get 1 drop about every 15 seconds. The bilge stays dry no matter how long I run the engine in gear but I do get a trail of salt crystals under the engine - just how I like it. The boat stays in the water year round.
        I found on my boat if you sail on starboard tack with the bilge 2/3 or more full of water then water ends up in the port locker under the berth in the middle of the boat. This has always been a mystery to me since the locker appears to be very well sealed.

TRUE GRIT
        Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Interesting, over 90% have a wet bilge. Would an accessory that added a little more water to the bilge be a problem, not a steady flow but a little more once in a while?

My first thought is probably not, the bilge is wet already so what's the difference?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Cool Beans
            • Mar 2011

occasionally I will suck the 2" of water out of my deep bilge with a shop vac. . .it will stay dry till it rains hard and slowly fills up. . .I have cockpit leaks to seal, lol. . .
            Last edited by Cool Beans; 03-31-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

I thought bilge was derived from the latin Bilgeouses, to be "wet with grief".
              Thus the maritime tradition of "yer bilious bilge matey!. That is to say "You're all wet dude".

On my boat it's not a bilge, it's an aquarium!

R.
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Mostly dry

Having a wooden boat makes this question a little different. Salt water can never harm a wooden boat but fresh water will, every time, and that is exactly what sweats or condenses on the inside of the planking and then runs to the bilge. Since my hull is so swollen up with oil that there is no leakage at all, it is necessary for me to flush the bilge periodically with salt water (to keep her "sweet" as the (really) old timers would say). But I don't mind a little water getting in under the engine via the stuffing box or leakage at the waterlock. IMO fibreglass boats should be kept as dry as possible for reasons already noted.

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

Well, this year I have a small leak. Must be the keel because I couldn't find anything else. I didn't tourqe the keel bolts since I got it and I'm close on 6000 nautical miles on her since then (summer 2007). There enough coming in to run the pump once a day....but previously I had to run the pump only to expel rain water that came down the mast. After the docks and other boats get in and squared away I might just haul and have a look see . Kind of p'd me off a bit because I become accustomed to things going my way with my "good o'le boat". I didn't want to mess with something that aint broke...
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Mo - You didn't mention whether your keelbolts are threaded into the lead casting or are thru bolted and plugged at the bottom. I would not conclude that you have a core intrusion issue until the bolt issue is settled. You may only have to remove the keelbolts and seal with tar or some such material.

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Hanley, mine are threaded into the lead keel. The stock running down into the keel is at least 1 inch in diameter....maybe larger. I know I had to buy a socket to fit the nuts...If I remember correctly they were 1 1/2 inch. My manual is down on the boat...I`ll have a look at it tomorrow and see what size they are.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

It's rare to have bolts or threaded stock threaded into an original keel. Having been involved in the manufacture and purchase of keels, the 2 common methods were to place J-bolts (aka anchor bolts) as part of the casting process or to weld bolts to an internal steel spine and cast that assembly in place.

BTW, the additional water I mentioned would be salt water.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Right you are Neil...they are J bolts (6) in mine ( I do believe)...the original manual from factory is on the boat so I'll have a peek at it. The water seems to stay at one level...about 2 1/2 inches. This part of the boat is at least 2 feet underwater so if it was a major I'd think there would be more accumulating there.

Will check again where my level is again this morning, heading down to the boat in a few minutes.
                          Last edited by Mo; 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

...the same amount.

Ok guys,
                            I hadn't pumped out the boat in 24 hrs and the same amount came in...it comes about a 1/4 inch from the top of my bilge pump but that's as far as it rises. When I hit the pump it pumps for 50 seconds. It's not back flow from the pump as the line would not hold enough. I figure about 2 gallons total comes in and then it stops. I wonder if it somehow equalizes pressure and holds at that level.

Regardless of what's going on....that just won't do for me. I have the gear to take it out and check / seal etc ...whatever has to be done. Any ideas??
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                              Having a wooden boat makes this question a little different. Salt water can never harm a wooden boat but fresh water will, every time, and that is exactly what sweats or condenses on the inside of the planking and then runs to the bilge. Since my hull is so swollen up with oil that there is no leakage at all, it is necessary for me to flush the bilge periodically with salt water (to keep her "sweet" as the (really) old timers would say).
                              I remember hearing that the ancients would throw rock salt into the bilge to keep it "sweet" and keep the fresh water rot down.
                              I'm not suggesting this should be done on modern wood boats; only as a item of interest.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                                It's rare to have bolts or threaded stock threaded into an original keel. Having been involved in the manufacture and purchase of keels, the 2 common methods were to place J-bolts (aka anchor bolts) as part of the casting process or to weld bolts to an internal steel spine and cast that assembly in place.

BTW, the additional water I mentioned would be salt water.
                                But Niel, I thought the Catalina 30 has lag bolts for keel bolts?
                                My old Columbia has 'em.
                                I have a good question for a stupid design. I have an old lead keel with bad, bad, bad, rusted bolts. The best information I can get on this boat is...

R.
                                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                                X