View Single Post
  #6   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile ...just something I do.

I have a hole drilled in the lowest part of the keel. On the hard the keel is dry, and the whole boat stays dry although not covered. No condensation in the boat as she is on the hard from Nov till April. Drilling that hole was the best thing I ever did.

Once the boat goes in the water I get a little bit of water. After a rain water will come all the way down the keel stepped mast...after a good day of rain there will be enough to run the bilge. While in the water there is always a small drop there that the pump can't throw out.

NOTE: I keep a 4 liter jug of vinegar in the boat. I pour a bit in after running the pump...just a 1/2 cup or so. This combined with the water left in there keeps the bilge smell GONE.

Just the other day it was 30C here and I pressure washed the inside of the boat. Took everything out and layed it on deck. Used citrus cleaner and sprayed under cockpit, lazarettes, bilge, area under V-bert. Don't really notice dirt there until you give it a good cleaning. This is my spring cleaning. Left the boat open and it dried out by evening. Thats another benefit of a hole drilled in the boat...it all runs out! Do not try pressure washing your teak etc. Yesterday I gave the teak bulkhead, teak floor etc a wipe with vinegar on a cloth...then applied teak oil. It came up nice. Only thing left to do is clean the shelves and counter top where I was laying everything.

Weather cool here again today but if the weather breaks next week I'll put her sails, propane, dodger, beer etc on and back her in the water.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.