View Single Post
  #39   IP: 64.203.32.52
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Smile Dave's lil beastie

I don't have an hour meter so all I can do is guess. As some of you may no when I bought the Volador 26 years ago the engine was rusted/frozen tight. At that time it had set in the slip fro 5 years as the 3 guys I bought her from only used the boat as a plase to bring their girlfriends so their wives wouldn't find out. Well they found out just as I was walking by to hand a check to a guy further down the marina for a differant E-35 and I wound up making them an offer "as is" with an engine that wouldn't start or turn. It took me 5 days to get her running and I have used the boat a lot since. The original owner used the boat for 6 years cruising and racing and I have no idea how much he used it other than it sat due to his heart problems for a couple of years until those 3 bought her.
I'm guessing she has about 2000/2500 hours on it in forty years of ticking. That number may be a little high so I'm putting in 2000 hours which may be a bit high.
I will attest to the durability of the A-4. A friend of mine who worked on them as a marine mechanic said he saw many of them with over 4000 hours and still in good shape if they were properly maintained. He also said many were trashed due to neglect with only a few hundred hours on them.

I am planning on doing a compression check this weekend to satisfy my and others curiosity. I will use my screw in Snap-on guage.

Dave Neptune
Volador's A-4 about 2000 hours and a valve job 26 years ago.