View Single Post
  #18   IP: 71.66.237.123
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Afourian MVP

My c&c 30 came (used) with both the factory standard 11x7 fixed 2 blade prop and a Martec 12x5 folding (both factory recommended sizes and pitch for this boat). I have A4 direct drive. For the first 2 years I used the Martec which the po had been using, probably for several years. I was unhappy with the vibration and switched to the fixed prop. I used the fixed for several years then changed back this year, wondering if I'd get better sailing performance. Before reinstalling the Martec, I sent it to them for refurb. I have noticed the following:
1. The prop is definitely smoother after refurb. Not as smooth as the fixed prop, but acceptable and much better than before.
2. I get a little higher rpm out of the Martec, presumably due to its lower pitch, maybe less efficiency. This is a plus.
3. I can't tell much difference in performance between the 2 props, but I don't use reverse for anything other than backing about 1-1/2 boat lengths out of my slip or slowing to a mooring ball. Reverse is certainly acceptable with the Martec. I can't tell much difference in a chop, but when it's really wavy, I sail, and if I really needed power in a chop or current, I'd try the Indigo, not either of my current props.
4. I really can't tell about sailing performance. Too many variables. We've had an unusually windy summer on Lake Erie, so I've done little light air sailing this year, which is where the folder should make a difference. The Martec only cost me 2 seconds per mile on my PHRF rating.

All in all, I'm happy with the refurbed Martec and will leave it on unless I'm planning a long trip upriver (Detroit and St Clair Rivers where current can hit 3 knots or more for short distances) in which case I'll switch to the Indigo. If you do buy a used Martec, or have an older one, I'd definitely recommend spending the $250 or so to have it factory refurbed.