View Single Post
  #22   IP: 47.23.15.124
Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Fuel Fill location

FWIW...
The fill on my Pearson 323 is on the stbd F/G "weatherboard" coaming, outboard side. The fumes that are displaced by the gas filling go directly overboard, as well as out the vent on the transom.
I stick as much hose a possible into Sea Haven's fuel fill while still maintaining enough length to remain in the gas can to allow can to rest on the coaming's flat top, inboard of the lifelines of course.
I do keep my hand the can as the little glass "marble" from the shaker siphon rattles away down at the bottom of the can as the boat fuels. It's a nice "audible" confirmation of fuel flow.
Direct addition of fuel with little chance of spill. IMHO, I would only use "Mr. Funnel" to fill the Gas Can at the station. Of course as mentioned before, I follow all practices, including flying the "BRAVO" flag.

On a side note, my Bristol 29.9, a diesel Yanmar 2GM15, had it's fuel fil in the center of the cockpit...WORSE PLACE EVER. If leaves clogged the cockpit drains, water seeped into the tank! And though I could enjoy a good cigar while fueling, no matter how careful I was diesel always managed to get on the cockpit deck and stain it.

I just love my 323, and the A4.

Last edited by Sea Haven; 08-06-2014 at 04:54 PM.