View Single Post
  #20   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
Thanks, it all makes sense but I guess never did that because my fill port is outside of deep coamings and anything liquid or heavier than air would go overboard. That said, I make a more-than-usuall and rigorous sniff around the bilge before starting up at the gas dock. The attendants never give anyone grief about going through a check list. I have seen them watch me and smile.

I'll review my procedure. It might change.

Russ
Russ, My fuel fill is outboard of the cockpit coaming, and I am 99% sure the fumes go overboard as well, it is that 1% you never know about, so, I always close the boat as well, as I was taught. I also turn on the blower prior to opening up the boat.

If I am fueling at the slip with jerry cans...I usually have the jerry can as the first thing out of the trunk, and do the gas filling first before I open up the boat and bring any gear aboard, just out of habit, since the boat is already closed up.

When I ran a gas dock, I always worried about the ones that did NOT go thru a checklist or procedure. "Here's your receipt, sorry I can't help you off, I gotta get my tail up this dock and away from you in case you blow up!!"

edit - Ooooo, I like that shaker siphon.. I guess the marble thingie keeps the fuel in the line as you are advancing it to start the siphon??

I found another product I think I will be purchasing...a "Mr. Funnel"
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 08-06-2014 at 03:48 PM.