View Single Post
  #19   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Thumbs up Follow-up

Electric FWC system is complete and tested, works great. I had my share of problems but they were easily resolved thanks to the generous help of a listmate both with the loan of a heat exchanger for testing and as a sounding board. You know who you are, my deepest thanks. Fortunately none of the tweaks required a departure from the original design. Here's the latest:
  1. My original stainless heat exchanger was a single pass type and didn't have enough thermal exchange capacity. Installed and tested, it ran up to 200.
  2. I installed and tested a borrowed 2 pass exchanger, engine ran at 140, solid as a rock.
  3. Purchased a 2 pass exchanger, modified the fittings slightly, painted it up (presentation is everything) and installed it Sunday. Started the engine to test, engine died after 60 seconds.
  4. Pulled the carb, brought it home and cleaned it up (hadn't been done in at least 2 years), re-installed it tonight, primed the bowl and started the engine. Ran for 60 seconds and died.
  5. Primed the bowl again, started the engine, ran for 60 seconds and died. Y'know, it's a sign of mental illness when you repeat the same action and expect a different result but man, all I wanted to do was test my new FWC!!
  6. Jumpered the oil pressure safety switch (electric fuel pump) and started her up, ran smooth at the slip for an hour. Oil pressure gauge read normal. Running problem solved.
  7. Running at the slip with moderate alternator load, temp never went above 120 during the hour, exhaust manifold, heat exchanger and hoses were only warm to the touch, infrared thermometer read around 117 on the manifold and hoses, 95 on the HX shell, 45 on the bottle of beer. Cross another project off the list.

Didn't have the camera with me at the boat but here are some pics of the replacement exchanger prior to installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sendure 1.jpg (80.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Sendure 2.jpg (79.0 KB, 233 views)
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others