View Single Post
  #19   IP: 72.38.235.150
Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Dave. I believe if it was the carb, the symptoms of fouling would show on all cylinders possibly to a different degree in each cylinder. Cylinder 2, 3, and 4 are burning perfectly clean.

I took one more shot at it this afternoon. yesterday I noticed that the plug was fouled but not nearly as bad as before. I decided to pour a liberal amount of MMO in the cylinder and let it sit for a couple hours. I put a new Autolite 86 plug in and started it up. I ran it under load for about half an hour then shut it down and checked the plug. It was as clean as the others. A very nice light brownish gray. I repeated the process and ran the engine under load at 1800 RPMs and it came out clean again.

This summer during our travels when we first noticed the soot on the stern, I assumed it was due to too much MMO in gas. We put a lot of hours on the engine with the last no wind leg being about 75 miles. Now I'm wondering if a fault in the spark plug or wire to cylinder one caused so much carbon build up that it had to work its way out. I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure. I'm just glad it's back to running properly again.