X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goodoldboat
    • May 2017

sudden stop

Here is the scenario and what I have checked so far .

late Model atomic 4 , No EI , no electric fuel pump and raw water cooled , this is my 2nd year with boat and the prior owners were real purists.

last night on the way back to the mooring , the motor just stopped and a local fisherman towed us the last 50 feet ..

We had been motoring for about one hour , when the engine just died .. not run out of gas like the lawn tractor ,but just died ..I went to the boat this morning thinking that the coil was bad and after cooling all night it would fire right up and I would call Ken and order new coil, bobs your uncle problem solved .( As I have read in so many posts on this forum )

Nope not to be ... I closed the raw water intake tried to crank nut it wouldn't start .

I removed the cable from the top of the distributor and the coil produced a nice .25 inch spark .

I also removed the sediment bowl , it was full of gas to the brim and had some bits of sediment on the bottom .. as the fuel pump is mechanical how do you prime it ( the prime handle moves so little and I was afraid to force it )

My plan for tomorrow is to go to the boat with starting fluid and see if it runs
    on ether momentarily.. which would be indicative of a fuel line issue ?

The engine has performed flawlessly for me and we where planning a cruise next week .. but not now ..
    S/V Gosling
    Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
    ― Kenneth Grahame
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Sudden stop with good spark and some gunk in the sediment bowl: I would be looking for carb issues. If the priming lever is hard to move, the fuel pressure may be fine (note, I have an electric pump so am guessing here). Do you have an inline "polishing" filter between pump and carb? Do you have an inline fuel pressure gauge? I would suggest installing both those things when you reassemble your carb. And I would also suggest EI once you have it running again.

Comment

• goodoldboat
      • May 2017

sudedn stop

Polishing filter is in place , in fuel pressure gage is not .. but will be installed
      S/V Gosling
      Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
      ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

goodolboat, checking the spark at the time of failure is a must. As it topped suddenly it could still be electrical in nature~~don't forget to check the ignition for voltage from the Ign switch. The switch can get intermittent and drive you nuts. It can be checked with a meter or when she fails run wire from a HOT+ feed (battery a good place or the starter feed and take it to the coil + and see if she starts.

With your sediment issues a check of the carb is in order.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• goodoldboat
          • May 2017

sudden stop

Just to ad some further detail to this post ... just to give as many details as possible ..

The starter will crank strong and turn the engine over .. just wont start ..
          S/V Gosling
          Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

goodolboat, did you try "motor crack" (starting fluid). A quick spray and a crank will let you know if you have spark at the plugs. If it kicks on "crack" you definitely have a fuel problem.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• goodoldboat
              • May 2017

sudden stop

Yes was going with some starting either today , if that gets it started .

I'm thinking fuel line ... if she starts on starting fluid does that preclude

a carb issue ? I spray into the flame arrestor that's the only air intake available ?
              while on that subject does that ever need cleaning or maintenance ?
              S/V Gosling
              Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• CajunSpike
                • Jan 2018

My 'would crank, had spark, but would not start issue' was solved by correctly adjusting the points.
                Instead of the points gap being .2 as per spec, it was way out at .5.
                Visibly you would see spark, but it was not blue and strong.
                Was not enough to actually fire when the plug was in the cylinder.
                Bill L.
                1972 Ericson 27
                Hull #61
                Atomic 4

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

If it starts or sputters on crack that means the ignition side is functioning. It also means that the carb is not delivering fuel properly.

The flame arrestor does need inspection and occasional cleaning.

When the engine quit did it shut down like you turned off the ignition or loose power, run a bit rough and die in a few seconds?

Did you check the carb bowl for fuel after shut down? And when did you check the spark time wise after the shut down?

Try the crack it will answer a lot of questions.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• goodoldboat
                    • May 2017

sudden stop

I just got back from the boat and boat crack didn't do anything ...

I did remove plug # 1 and plug # 2 ( from front to back ) and they were dry as a Bone .

I did not check the bowl for gas but the sediment bowl was full of gas , I checked for spark the next day , not the night of the stoppage .

what should I do next take of the carb and clean ?
                    S/V Gosling
                    Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

I the crack did not get it to fire I doubt you have spark at the plugs, especially if the plugs were dry. Did you smell gas on the plugs or emanating from the cylinders?

Next confirm spark at the end of a plug wire while cranking.

Be sure the water intake is closed too.

Did you look under the distributor cap? On rare occasions I have seen spark at the coil but not at the end of the plug wire on tose occasions it was a broken rotor.. I had one fail on the frwy in my Corvette once too~~really exciting at that moment.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• goodoldboat
                        • May 2017

sudden stop

I too the cap off and looked inside , its not cracked ..

I did bot smell any fuel on the plugs and nothing from the cylinders ..
                        the water intake is closed ...

tomorrow I will go back and remove plug one and hold against the block to check for spark ?

If have spark , what's next if I don't what's next ?
                        S/V Gosling
                        Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• goodoldboat
                          • May 2017

sudden stop

BTW the distributor looks as old as the boat ..for what its worth ..
                          S/V Gosling
                          Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• roadnsky
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Have you checked your points gap?
                            Do you have a spare condenser?
                            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                            sigpic
                            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

I removed the cable from the top of the distributor and the coil produced a nice .25 inch spark . . . . I just got back from the boat and boat crack didn't do anything . . . . . I did remove plug # 1 and plug # 2 ( from front to back ) and they were dry as a Bone . . . . .I did not check the bowl for gas but the sediment bowl was full of gas
                              Let's check spark at a spark plug while cranking, check for fuel in the carburetor bowl. If both of those checks pass muster (doubtful) I think a compression test is in order. No compression means no vacuum means no fuel/air mix drawn into the cylinders (see motor crack comment above).
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X