View Single Post
  #8   IP: 174.94.18.26
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelcooler View Post
An auto haylon should be mounted high within the motor box. They activate between 225 and 250 degrees, so you want it up w/ the heat. I also mounted mine above the carb side. Unless the heat tab is gone on the sprinkler head they are most likely fully charged and will remain so. Just check the weight per the label spec.

The old ozone depleting haylon gas is no longer in use. Haylon was the most efficient and was used in the m1 tanks. The new green gas used is no longer in small compact bottles and costs big bucks.

If you find one used at a second hand marine store you may want to pick it up. Your insurance company will give you a discount if installed because statistically they have proven the most effective when it comes to engine compartment fires.

When it comes to fire aboard you fully implement all prevention steps and move on to sound proven extinguishing methods. A dry chem may put out a grill or stove fire but that’s about it. Fuel fire in the box you want an auto unit or co2 horn nozzle in a cockpit locker. The fact is if a box fire erupts you will not want to go below and open the engine hatch anyway. You will not see a dry chem. on a military vessel or air base because they don’t work worth a darn. By the time you learn how to aim it, its dead.

A haylon when discharged will shut down a gas engine. Not so w/ a diesel. It will pass right through and mixed w/ diesel exhaust it becomes a form of mustard gas.
When I was a crewman on the Rhodesian (Polish built) T55 tanks the Soviets used a similar auto/manual Halon fire suppression system. You had to arm it first in the automatic mode...crews would often disarm the system and use it manually because there had been incidents where the auto system was triggered inadvertantly and the crew sickened as a result.