View Single Post
  #13   IP: 216.228.138.235
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Question I have the same problem! I need help please

Hello
I'm new here, and I found this forum searching for a problem like this.
This is what I have:
Johnson 25 hp 1972 outboard

Here is the problem:
The motor only runs when the chock is completely closed, and when the chock is opened the motor dies.

I rebuild the Carb last year, and did not have a chance to get it out on the water till this year, due to major family problems. However I followed the instructions in the original service manual on rebuilding and put it all back the way it was taken apart. Second thing was I replaced the slow speed needle because it was badly worn down. I also replaced the slow speed needle bushing, however, the one that came with the rebuild kit was way too big, almost as if it was the wrong size, if would not fit. So I ordered a new bushing from iboats.com and I got the original part, however it too was way too big. I ended up cutting the bushing down with a razor blade in order to make it fit. I hope this is not the issue. I have checked all the lines and I can see no leaks..
I ran the motor our of the water ( in a trash can of water) for a few minuets to see if it will worked after the rebuild and it worked fine, however I did not get to winterize the motor, and I'm worried all my work on the carb is down the drain due to slop in the jets, and bowl.

Any ideas here? I just need some direction, my last resort is to take it to a dealer.

thanks for the help!

Mike