Thread: milky oil
View Single Post
  #1   IP: 66.68.81.248
Old 07-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Cool milky oil

I own a 1976 S2 8 meter center cockpit. The Atomic 4 has served me well as I just need to motor out to the main body of the lake to sail. The only major issue I have had was with raw water cooling and I corrected that. I replaced the impeller which appeared to have melted, loosened and retightend the thermostat housing, replaced a small length of hose, and then my cooling system worked well. Of late however my oil has turned milky gray. From other posts I have deducted that this is from water contamination, but there is also an odor of gas in the oil. I just pumped out the oil via the dipstick hole and changed it. I raised level to full on dipstick and it was clear before I started the engine. Once a ran the motor for a few minutes to get it warm I checked the oil again. It was the same milky gray. I do not have the funds or desire to rebuild this engine if I have a crack that is allowing water from the jackets into my crankcase. I will continue to check to see if the level on the dipstick continues to rise (Indicating further water intrusion?). I also have been led to believe that this may be a fuel pump diaphragm issue. I suppose I could change the oil out again with the engine nice and warm in hopes that I have a residual of gray oil or sludge in the bottom of the crankcase or engine that made the oil turn gray. Any advice?