View Single Post
  #10   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM555 View Post
I guess what I’m trying to say is that if it’s so hard to keep an A4 running that two individuals who go to work each and every day fixing gas/diesel engines and have over 60 years experience between them have both struck out, how can a guy like me, who barely knows what a “spark” is and wouldn’t have a clue how to “check for one” do better?
What I'm trying to say (I've said it before in similar circumstances) is your mechanics obviously couldn't cut the mustard. The fact they couldn't deliver results is proof enough. I realize you're frustrated with poor performance and big expense but the reality is this is an exceedingly simple engine. Doubting your own abilities is understandable, we often preach pick yer battles but because two so called experienced professional ($$) mechanics couldn't get what is basically a lawn mower engine to run reliably is not the fault of the engine or its design.

From your comments thus far it is clear to me you've made your mind up the engine cannot be made to run reliably. You'll have a hard time convincing the members of this forum of that but I'll accept it's where you're at. It suggests this type of engine and you are not a good match and will continue to be a source of aggravation. Nobody wants that and it will surely make your boating stressful.

This is the first time in nearly 8000 posts I've made on this forum that I've suggested the following: maybe you're a candidate for an electric drive or if you think you have a good diesel mechanic available, perhaps a diesel repower is the way to go. However, if the diesel mechanics in your area are as unskilled as the two mechanics you've already run across you'll be in the exact same spot with a diesel as you are right now with the A4.

The goal is for you to enjoy your boat whatever it takes. Best of luck.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-03-2018), Graham (07-03-2018)