• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Shawn,
    I find the addition of a little "anti-freeze" to the blood works wonders.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• HalcyonS
      • Dec 2012

solenoid woes

So today, out of the blue, my solenoid made the heavy click sound three or four times before energising starter. I'd had this problem long ago. I found this thread, and my post (#2) (This was under my old username - somehow I lost access to that account and had to make a new one). In any case, it seems my washers made of plastic coffee can lid lasted a good few years. I think I might spring for a new solenoid this time. Has anyone done business with this outfit?

Last edited by HalcyonS; 01-02-2016, 01:06 AM.
      "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

It's just a marketing company so forget customer service and warranty, but at the price the risk is minimal (formerly Buy.com)

Comment

• HalcyonS
          • Dec 2012

I saw the originator was an outfit called 'rare electrical'. Same price, no shipping charge. They've got A4 starter motors too, who knows what else...
          "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• BadaBing
            • Jul 2007

I am all in favor of saving a few bucks. Sometimes a lot of bucks. But whenever possible I try to shop for my A4 needs at MM. If and when a part may cost a little more I chalk it up to supporting this forum and the hundreds if not thousands of $ of free advise I have received from Don, Ken, and the many helpful folks here.
            Bill
            1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Lyric
              Frequent Contributor
              • May 2014

Guys and gals,
              I think I'm having the same 'all click and no crank' issue. Started two weekends ago. I turn on the blower, turn the key to the on position, pull the choke out, then turn the key to 'start' and sometimes get nothing but 'click'. Also, for a few seconds afterwards, my instrument panel goes dead and the blower fan stops working! Then, the blower starts again and the instruments return to their normal pre-start position.
              Does that sound like the starter solenoid to you? After the engine starts, it runs all day long w/out a problem
              I've checked the engine ground wire on the engine (it's only been on for 3 years and looks good) but haven't checked the connections on the solenoid/starter since I did some work on it 4 years ago.
              This weekend I'll double check the ground wires on the batteries and to the block, and probably pull the starter and take a look inside the solenoid but thought I'd seek your counsel and advise in advance.
              Thanks for the misty fjordlands of southeast Alaska.
              Wade
              S/V Lyric

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

The obvious question: is the battery good. What is the battery voltage before you turn the key and what is the voltage reading while you attempt to crank.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

As an early guess it sounds like a loose or poor connection affected by starting loads. The first place I'd check is the battery cables from the battery posts all the way through to the starter - especially the ground.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Time to get the starter hammer.

I was at an inboard boat race a few weeks ago. One boat would not start and the driver got out a hammer and whacked the starter...zoom, off he went. They are always in gear.

Comment

• Mermaidquest
                      • May 2015

Keeping it running on the cheap, cheap !

You can get a NEW starter at an auto parts store for 54.00$ I know this goes against the tide but, doing what you can with what you have is how I roll! Mine works fine. I would repaint it though.

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mermaidquest View Post
                        You can get a NEW starter at an auto parts store for 54.00$
                        Yes... but does it have the required IGNITION PROTECTION?
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                          Yes... but does it have the required IGNITION PROTECTION?
                          For example, an automotive starter doesn't have one of these.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Fstued
                            • Jan 2014

more starter problems

It seems like I have the same problem as most with the starter. Turned the key, and all I got was click click click. Tried the hammer on the solenoid, used it on old cars before, but still just got click click. I am still guessing it is a stuck solenoid not engaging the starter. I guess that means pulling the alternator, the solenoid and starter. Plus make sure I label all wires and then shrink myself to get at everything, Ugh!
                            Oh well its only a 40 yrs A4. should last another 40 I think.
                            Thanks for all the advice, I guess I was hoping for an another easy fix since the hammer didn't work

Comment

• wcurnow
                              • Jun 2011

Starter clicking but not rolling over the engine.

I had a similar problem. The solution that worked for me was first be certain that all electrical connections that are used in the starting circuit are clean and tight. If that does not fix the problem, remove the starter from the block and clean the mating surfaces bright, apply dialectic silicon grease and reassemble. This is a very important connection for the starters DC negative circuit
                              Also on a post note, if your wiring is undersized the voltage drop will cause problems with the solenoid. SO STOP BEATING THE POOR OLD STARTER
                              Last edited by wcurnow; 10-31-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

First thing I'd do is a volt meter test between the starter post where the battery cable is connected and the engine block while a helper is turning the key.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                                X