View Single Post
  #13   IP: 45.49.35.172
Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I can add a little more information. On Sunday we performed a few basic tests:
  1. Ando had already done a spark test. There was spark at the plugs but not of the highest quality. See item 6 below.
  2. As Ando mentioned, compression test
  3. We disconnected the fuel hose at the carburetor, put it in a container, jumpered the OPSS and turned on the ignition. The electric fuel pump clicked away as it should but zero fuel flow.
  4. We removed the polishing filter to be sure it was neither clogged nor installed backwards. All good except no fuel in the filter.
  5. We did a full timing exercise from scratch (the balloon compression stroke indicator is so cool). Timing and firing order are confirmed correct.
  6. The coil is in poor physical condition (cracks and leaking around the top). Ando has a replacement MMI coil that he will install. We measured the primary resistance, 3Ω.
  7. We set the idle mixture adjustment 1½ turns off the seat so it is ready for initial starting.
  8. By the sound of the starter slowing down, the battery is anemic.
Our conclusions/project assignments at this time: replace the coil, test the fuel pump operation (done), find out why there is no fuel pumping from the on board tank and get better battery power either with charging or replacement.
I knew I failed to mention some of the things we did Thx, Neil. The balloon compression stroke indicator btw really IS sooo cool! The coil has been replaced. As soon as I get back to the boat, I will connect the fuel system to an external tank and run a test and luk what happens.