View Single Post
  #8   IP: 107.72.176.132
Old 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Update... I think I have come to the conclusion it was seawater backflow from the exhaust. I did 3 more oil changes today running the engine in between and also pulled and checked the plugs in between each oil change. The oil now looks clear of any water and the plugs were dry. The only thing I did differently was starting it with the raw water seacock closed and then also closed it before I shut it down to blow all the water out the exhaust, which I am not a fan of doing. A practice that may cause me to run through impellers quite frequently.

So is it possible that the exhaust riser isn’t high enough and can quickly fill up with water?

And I have an idea about installing a y valve somewhere in between the raw water pump output and the exhaust riser to divert the water out an unused thruhull located through the transom that was used to vent the propane locker that no longer is installed. That way it saves the pump from running dry on startup and shutdown, what do you guys think? Or would it just be putting a bandaid on a problem with the exhaust design?