View Single Post
  #1   IP: 104.195.197.195
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Contemplations for a shortened season

(Thanks Coronavirus)

So up here in the frozen north, they locked down our marina's in march, so we've only just been allowed back in to see our friendly (moneysinks).

(Okay, there are pictures, but I got her this way and yes its terrifying. I may post them as part of a before/after post later)

Since I'm contemplating taking mechanical cutting devices to the cockpit sole of my 28' Newport C&C in order to provide my A4 with a somewhat dryer environment by rebuilding that surface from the gangway to the transom, I'm also contemplating putting a wee bit of noise dampening under the A4. I see a 'universal engine mount' listed in our forum sponsor's catalogue, and my A4 is mounted directly on fibreglass 'rails' in the engine compartment.

Is there anyone who has had experience with cutting down those solid to the hull 'rails' and replacing them with the motor mounts, and possibly in the exquisitely cramped environments that the Newport hulls left for the A4? I'd seriously appreciate some guidance on the "gotcha's" that are (in my case) exceptionally likely to bite my $%#%.

(point in fact, one of the elements on the table for the cockpit sole is an engine hatch, still being debated with the boatbuilders around the corner with regard to structural integrity and weight issues)

(I've read, reviewed and debated about 5 cockpit sole replacement articles, discussed with the local boatbuilder and the fibreglass 'guy' to my marina, and the cost/benefit ratio is utterly worth it for this effort, and yes, I am likely to ask another 10,000 questions about it here over the next few weeks).