View Single Post
  #5   IP: 184.70.15.142
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

great suggestions, will follow up

Okay, Neil Mike and Dave, thanks for the quick response and your suggestions!

I will check the coil type and model, I assume it is new.

As for coolant, there is no obvious leak or coolant in the bilge, but I will put down a clean rag to see what it picks up.

The mainfold integrity tests -- does that mean I should remove the hoses and try to pressure test the exhaust manifold from outside the engine? I'll have to do some research on the forum to find out the best way to do that test.

As for how much choke when starting, I always use full choke when cold but it isn't needed when the engine is warm, however I have never tuned the carburetor. I will need to understand the carb and clean it at some point. So it may well be running rich right now, not sure.

Compression test, either with my thumb or a tester, that I will do asap as well.

To Neil's question of the timeline before stalling, 45 minutes is an average, never less than that anyway. If it is specific to how hot the engine gets, longer times before a stalling episode may occur during lower engine load/rpms I suppose.

I did make a 3.5 hour crossing only to stall on arrival when going to idle. That has happened three times at least after the cooled engine was restarted during a journey including last week.

And Mike, the reason I considered pulling the head was due a suggestion that there might be a blown head gasket. That is unconfirmed and would take me out of commission entirely until completed -- but I am committed to diagnosing and solving these issues with a still-running motor. I would rather sail/cruise but first priority is a reliable engine!

Also, I never knew about water encroachment via the exhaust, I will close that port next time I'm cranking for more than a few cycles. Will try to remember to open it after as well!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, I'll return with more information.

- Jon