#3   IP: 73.25.95.58
Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi Neil and thanks for help.

Answers inline below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
  • What color is the exhaust smoke?
    rns> The classic wisp of blue smoke, similar to what you get out of an old school 2-stroke motorcycle. It the A4 was a 2-stoke, I'd be done.
  • Do you use fuel additive(s)?
    rns> Just Sta-bil fuel stabilizer, no MMO or Seafoam.
  • Why the PCV? Is it needed (excessive blowby)?
    rns> The motor came with the PCV. The previous owner he had some smoke in the cabin and adding the PCV cleaned up the problem. When I first got he motor out in the harbor, I had smoke coming out the oil cap breather but the motor had sat for for 6 months so added a quart of the MMO to the oil and after two hours of running that problem seem tamed, but have not done extensive motoring on this motor so far, so there could still be a problem.
  • If your first plugs showed a rich mixture, why richen the mixture further with the new carburetor (turning the mixture screw in richens the mix)?
    rns> Doh. I turned in the mixture screw closer to the seat, and by your question just remembered the mixture controls air and not fuel. (sigh) I knew that at one time but was in a hurry to get home and avoid traffic.
  • Is a precise timing exercise possible (as opposed to timing by feel)? By possible I mean do you have the means/tooling to precisely find #1 TDC, i.e., MMI crankshaft timing tool or precision measuring equipment, timing light. Do you have the means to make a precise timing mark (as opposed to the crankshaft roll pin)?
    rns> I have a piston stop, but could not locate my "vintage hand crank" so did it by feel while running under load. The piston stop would allow me determine TDC rotating both ways and than halving the position. However, my hand crank is really only good at turn the motor CCW direction to start Need to make a jig or just buy the rotation tool from MMI.