View Single Post
  #22   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by msauntry View Post
Fair's fair.... How many does Moyer Marine have?
I say as many as they will need. There is not a part that can't be had at this point. I have one question though. Are the new blocks being produced as good as the originals casted by Universal? Do they have the same metallurgical content?

I know one thing is for certain. A well maintained and used A4 is as dependable as walking out and starting you car in the driveway. Heating issues continue to arise and I think perhaps some thinking outside the box might be done on that.

Overall, I would take one over a light duty diesel due to their endurance factors...it stops when it runs out of gas when marginally maintained. The major draw back is fuel tank range.

There are allot of diesel engines around here that needed major work again this year and they cannot take fouled fuel or overheating at all...shut down is occurring and repairs are major expensive...

So far this year I advise about 10 people who loved a boat to buy it despite it having an A4...the only reason they were going to continue looking. The A4 is not a liability, range might be, but for the rest of it the A4 will perform as well and outlast the lightly built diesels. Diesels need to be big and heavy and there are not many family sized sailboats that have the room to put in a comfortable size one....marketing sets them up with inferior products. That said, I'd consider a Beta Marine 30 hp in mine...nothing less.

It is beyond me why someone hasn't designed and built a fuel injected inboard gas engine for a sailboat. Problem is that these days they want to make everything disposable....the A4 was never made disposable.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.