Thread: ABYC Standards
View Single Post
  #46   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Insurance companies don't care about ABYC either. I've never seen any reference in denied claims about "not ABYC compliant".
. . . . . until some surveyor, in an effort to sound official, peppers his survey with "non-ABYC compliant" tags and then some insurance actuary who has never set foot on a boat reads it and either denies or reduces coverage. I offered the choice in the poll as sort of a wisecrack but it was born of experience. You see, that happened to me.

I had such a surveyor. As a result my original insurance company and I had a year long dialogue over repairs, when they would be done and who was doing them before they cancelled me. The straw that finally broke the camel's back was not an ABYC issue although I had my share of those. It had to do with a recommended rigging survey that turned into a condition of coverage. I argued why spend $600 on such a survey when I'm replacing all the rigging anyway? They didn't agree. No survey, no insurance.

That's an example of how dogmatic and heavy handed the insurance company was regarding the survey recommendations.

edit:
six years and three insurance companies later I'm now insured for 4X the value of the original policy at 1/4 the cost. My current carrier did not require a survey but rather sent out their own "inspector" with a 2 page form to fill out and a digital camera in hand. Apparently they've had their own surveyor problems in the past.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 06-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.