View Single Post
  #4   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Cost of an A4 overhaul - Wow! Tough question, but let me try..
Could be low cost - the first one I did was basically a gasket set, a set of rings, and a transmission oil seal. This engine was still running fine in the boat when I sold it 15 years later!
Beyond that, it's a question of what needs doing & what you decide to do. If the top of the block isn't flat, it's going to the shop for a skim cut. While it's there, they may as well do the valves and valve seats. Plus install the Kaminsky plug in the side of the transmission housing. How's your oil pressure? If not good, it might need bearings.
It depends on what you find as you get into it - but the nice thing is that these are in unit of $100. No $1000 surprises.
Another good thing about the rebuild is that everything fits. If you go diesel, you're starting from scratch. Do the engine mounts fit your bed? How about the engine cover - will it fit the diesel? Where's the exhaust? Does it fit your current run or will you have to reinvent an exhaust system.
Final question (I've got to ask) - what do you like best about a diesel? Is it the smell or the noise?